Whether you are a non-citizen working in Singapore or a permanent resident, you can rent HDB apartments. Of course, you want your place to be an expression of your inner self, show sophistication and beauty, and offer the comfort that you need. A lot of people are interested in HDB interior design these days. If you have a limited budget, you can still find ways to achieve the interior design you want without spending too much money.
HDB apartments usually have limited space, so you need to maximize it for the fittings because it may be difficult to purchase every piece of furniture and other things that you want. A creative, fashionable, and economical way of using space for your HDB interior design is to add multipurpose cabinets, drawers and shelves and fit them under the bed. There are pieces of equipment with other uses other than what was initially intended, so make sure to take advantage of them. An example of this is a table with a built-in bookshelf. Moreover, avoid the atmosphere of disorder in the room, so do not put in unnecessary fittings. To create a feel of bigger space, you can put in hangings and mirrors.
Keeping the floors clean creates an atmosphere of orderliness and extra space, so make sure that they are always tidy and do not put too many items on the floor. Your HDB interior design should have tiles, carpets and rugs that match your walls. You may opt for wooden floors, but there are also other choices, such as bamboo, tiled, wall-to-wall carpeting and concrete. Again, match your choice of flooring with your fittings and other pieces of furniture to emphasize the feeling of serenity and comfort.
Dark colors can make a room to have a claustrophobic and crowded atmosphere. You must opt for bright, pale and neutral colors and blend it well with the colors of your walls, fittings, decorations, and other items in your home, so your HDB interior design will have a homey feeling. Your home should be a haven of tranquillity and not a gloomy place.
There is a current trend of using bold colors for your home to have a life. A glowing blue rag on pale flooring and an orange or red pillow on a pale couch can work wonders for your home. Moreover, a good piece of antique or a single bright-colored piece of furniture can be great for your interior design.
This is probably the most important aspect and where you must exert most of your efforts in your HDB interior design. Certainly, dark rooms will always give an ambiance of a small, enclosed space, which means you may not be in the right mood to relax and work in these rooms. More and more people are going green, so make sure to use as much natural light as possible, instead of using a bulb all throughout the day. Natural light is not only good for the environment, but it can also save some money on your power bills. Mirrors that have been suggested above also help in reflecting a lot of natural light in the room.
Things to Avoid
You do not want to have any regrets after implementing your project, so try your best to avoid the following common mistakes in HDB interior design:
- Starting without a master plan – One of the most important factors of doing a home interior design is to have a master plan. This gives you a general idea on the amount you need, and in return, it will most likely be easier for you to manage your finances. To create a master plan, you need to know the kind of look you want and the things you have to do to achieve the look you want. An easy way to do this is to work with a competent HDB interior designer.
- Not having the right financial plan – If you have a master plan for your HDB interior design, it will also be quite easy for you to come up with the right financial plan. A lot of people overlook this and that’s a bad idea. If you do not have a financial plan, you may not be able to watch out your spending, particularly the minor expenses. Because of that, you may tend to overspend.
- Rushing the project – One of the problems you may have when you rush the whole process is having things that are not properly done. This also happens if you hire an inferior contractor who will try to beat the deadline so they can get paid. Instead of providing a definite schedule, you must first ask the contractor how long it can take them to do the job, then work with that schedule as much as you can. If you want the job to finish faster, you may need to spend more money on your HDB interior design to keep up with quality.
- Using low quality materials – Many people compromise quality when purchasing materials for their interior design. This is commonly because these materials are less expensive than the rest. However, what you need to remember about substandard materials is that you may spend more money in the long run because you will have to keep doing repairs and replacements.
- Hiring an incompetent contractor – An important factor in coming up with a quality interior design is to also have a quality contractor. You must research about the specialist you are considering and make sure they have a good track record. There are many good interior designers in Singapore, so you may not have a problem finding one.
- Not being practical – The project may overwhelm you and you may tend to forget to consider the practical side of things. For example, if you have young kids, consider them when choosing your interior design. The design elements must be safe for them, but still match the look you want.
Now that you know the things to do and what to avoid in your HDB interior design, you can now have a comfy home for your taste even with small space.